Thursday, June 5, 2008

It Was Two Years Ago Today

Two years ago, today, I lost the best friend, companion, baby and soul mate I could have asked for (as a matter of fact I did- ha, ha). About 18 years ago I was having a "heart to heart" with the powers that be, doing what every young woman does, requesting a mate . I was requesting someone who would love me unconditionally, be strong, stand by me, never run away or be afraid of my inner strength, be handsome and debonair and always protect me. The lesson I learned from that request was to be VERY specific about what you're asking for. That wish did come true.... in the form of a dog!

I am FOREVER grateful for the gift he was in my life! WE vacationed, traveled, played and had some great memories together. He was a rescued dog that they had difficulty placed, and hesitated showing me, stating that he wasn't too welcoming to new people. When I arrived at the foster home he was at, this "little man" came prancing over from the backyard, tail wagging, and when I opened my car door, he hopped right in as if to say "Let's go!". It took me off guard and his foster mother who didn't hesitate to let me take him home that day.

We did have our trials as he didn't like ANY other dogs (with the exception of maybe 5) and his health was always in check due to disk displaysia. I thought I'd almost lost him once before in Pittsburgh because the pain was so bad they admitted him to the vet hospital for 3 days to calm him and allow the disk to hopefully slip back into place (anyone with Dachshunds knows what I'm talking about). When one of his episodes would flare up, it would break my heart, his cries sounding like that of a wounded baby seal. But, I wouldn't have traded him for the world!



Anyone who knew or ever met Jake knew he was all of those things and then some. He saved my life more than once and was as devoted to me as I was to him to the very end. The most DIFFICULT decision I ever had to make was choosing to end his pain. I thought I had more time, but his body decided otherwise. On June 5, 2006, Jake quietly passed away in my arms at the vets office. All at once I felt such a flood of emotion- loss, grief, relief and love. Part of me felt like I had given up on him, yet I was constantly reassured I had made the right choice. (and I cry now as I write this)

It's two years today that I lost my baby. At 15, he lead a great life and was pretty pampered, ask my friends. He enjoyed being the "co-pilot" in the car and went with me on business trips. Bein g the 'gentleman' he was, he was the ONLY canine guest welcome at two of the Inns I frequented. In many cases, on my business travels, the inn keepers appeared to be more eager to see HIM again than me .

He holds a place of honor on a shelf in my room, an urn, his photo, paw print and "Pooka" (bear) there looking over and still protecting me. I have two new additions, though they will never replace him. Sophie is my "little girl" and ever fragile and genteel... and then there's Basil... all I can say is that for his cute and cuddly qualities, he is definitely the "trouble child" who tests me daily and is no Jake. But, it's time for a new generation and to share the love elsewhere. But Jake will ALWAYS be a part of my heart.

No comments: