Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Being [what?] in the Workplace?

As it's been requested that I not discuss a personal issue with my close friends that read this (sorry), I'm deciding to go down a different path. Another place, another time ladies and gents.

I recently saw this posted in the cubical of an associate.

Being Black in the Workplace
They take my kindness for weakness.
They take my silence for speechless.
They consider my uniqueness strange.
They call my language slang.
They see my confidence as conceit.
They see my mistakes as defeat.
They consider my success accidental.
They minimize my intelligence to "potential".
My questions mean "I'm unaware".
My advancement is somehow unfair.
Any praise is preferential treatment.
To voice concern is discontentment.
If I stand up for myself, I'm too defensive.
If I don't trust them, I'm too apprehensive.
I'm defiant if I separate.
Yet, I'm fake if I assimilate.
So, constantly I am faced with workplace hate.
My character is constantly under attack.
Pride for my race makes me, "TOO BLACK".
Yet, I can only be me.
And, who am I you might ask?
I am that Strong Black Person... Who stands on the backs of my ancestors achievements, with an erect spine pointing to the stars with pride, dignity, and respect which lets the workplace in America know, that I not only possess the ability to play by the rules, but I can make them as Well! Black History 365
P.S. Pass -it on to your black co-workers. Good, Better, Best, Never ever rest Until YOUR Good is Better and YOUR Better is Best!
~Author Anonymous

Living in Richmond, the workforce is predominantly black ("African American" for the old-school politically correct). One of my closest friends is black and I am Godmother to her daughter and Great-Godmother to her grand-daughter. I know that if things were ever horrible, she is someone I could count on to be there for me, as I have been for her. She's my sister of another color, my "Est-a" to her "Hattie Mae" (private joke between us). I love her dearly.

I have also been subject to, being white, a type of racism I was not raised around. The south has a HUGE cross it is bearing and anyone in the path of fire becomes a target. It wasn't soon after we moved here as a teen that I learned where a 'white' person's place was... and it wasn't one that meant equality or people being able to 'mingle' in the same places as a black person does, often being questioned about why I was in a certain store by an unprofessional sales rep or being cut off in traffic, an elevator or on the stairs by someone who felt I was not equal to them and didn't deserve any courtesy. All of this behavior was something new to me and difficult for me to comprehend. In time, I just surmised it as how the way life is "down here".

I've been told "You haven’t experienced the trials and tribulations of being Black in America." No, I haven't... but I am a woman and have struggled hard for the education I have and the accomplishments I have made. Because my parents earned "just enough", I was unable to obtain financial aid for college and attend the university of MY choice because of my race; people with grade averages lower than mine were accepted because of their race (yes it's that simple; affimative action is what it's called). I moved out at 17 and obtained the education I could afford. No, I haven't experienced the 'trials and tribulations', but that does not mean I am not empathetic and don't 'understand'.

I was always raised to be able to speak and write with proper English, that 'slang' was always an indicator of a lack of knowledge, ignorance or pure laziness (unless used for humor). I remember as a 7th grader having to write 100 times "Ain't IS NOT a word." in English class because I used the word in a sentence and the teacher overheard me. In the workplace, it is essential and necessary to speak with proper grammar and be able to write effectively in order to get your point across and succeed. I do not see how this could be considered something that would hold one back or biased. If memory serves me, black and white grow up and go to the same schools (at least they did when I was growing up). We had the same teachers and opportunities. The difference came in whether or not you were willing to apply yourself and be the change you want to see or simply fade into your surroundings and just exist. I will admit, when I hear someone say "It don't make no....", "I ain't gonna...." or "Let me 'axe' you a question.", I CRINGE. Double negatives, improper grammar, poor pronunciation... these are all BASICS we learned in elementary school! If you didn't pay attention or didn't apply yourself, how is that anyone elses fault but your own. And, both black and white people are guilty of this, I'm not isolating any one race. (BTW, I even edited the poem so that the commas and spelling were correct! I couldn't do anything with the last sentence; I just let it be to make a point.)

So, back to the poem. In a day and age where we have someone stumping for the highest office in the land by using one word -"Change"- without a foundation beneath it, a poem making excuses for why someone is the way they are (I 'live' with enough excuses as to why something isn't done; I DON'T need it in the workplace), I am once again reminded of the society I live in. Only YOU can be the change you want to see... NO ONE else will do it for you. Don't make excuses, feel sorry for yourself or expect others to treat you a certain way. Your actions have results (contrary to what you think your memory dictates). Looking back upon the poem, never once have I considered someones kindness a weakness (do unto others), someones mistakes defeat (from them you grow), or someone standing up for themselves as defensive (my dad always said you have to look out for no. 1 because no one else will).

Do my thoughts make me a racist? I sure hope not. Do my life experiences? Who really knows. This poem could apply to any woman working today. After all, exactly how many women do you see as CEO's, CFO's and Directors (okay, minus the Fed)... hmm, now does that make me a sexist?

Yes, you ALL know me. I am opinionated, you do as I do and take everything with a grain of salt and not out of context... okay, most people don't take it out of context (lol). I have my thoughts and I usually don't waiver in letting it out when something gets stuck in my craw.

[OK - side track... makes me think of a 'Will and Grace' episode:

GRACE: You know, something you said yesterday really stuck in my craw.
NATHAN: What's a craw?
GRACE: I don't know. I think it's something like a claw.
NATHAN: Why didn't you just saw claw?
GRACE: Can we move past this?


that's all- just had to throw that in there... ha,ha,ha]

So, I feel a little better now. Why can't we all just get along, right? (no, that's NOT open for discussion......lol)

No comments: